Our Sustainability Programme includes a range of clear and measurable targets to help improve our environmental footprint as well as other initiatives to help our supply chain.
We report on our performance annually and we achieved until now:
- Zero waste to landfill target since 2012
- 38% reduction in carbon emissions, with a goal of 45% reduction by 2020
- 37% reduction in water consumption with a goal of 45% reduction by 2020
- We have taken over 30 million lorry miles off the roads since 2005 and reduced our transport emissions by 43% and set a new 50% target from 2005 to 2020
- Since 2010, 100% of Palm Oil we procure has been certified from sustainable sources. 96% of Palm Oil used in our products is physically certified.
- We procure 33% of our wheat requirement via Back to Farm agreements and we have aspirations to increase this to 75% within the next 2 years
- Most of our raw material and ingredient suppliers are on the Supplier Ethical Data Exchange (SEDEX) system.
See our 2015 Sustainability Highlights here.
We have teamed up with recycling experts TerraCycle to launch the McVitie’s Biscuit Wrapper Brigade. Biscuit wrappers are recyclable, but very little mixed plastic recycling is carried out by local council kerb side collections, resulting in millions of biscuit wrappers being sent to landfill. The McVitie’s and TerraCycle’s initiative – a first for the industry – encourages consumers to help end this enormous waste of resources by sending in their used biscuit wrappers to be recycled.
For more information, visit www.terracycle.co.uk.